Slider

Book Talk: The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenburg

20 July 2014

Release date: February 21, 2012
Book: The Catastrophic History of You and Me
Author: Jess Rothenberg
Source: The library :)
The Basics:Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?



My Musings:
     When I first picked up this book I have to admit I was hesitant to read it. The idea of a girl dying of a broken heart seemed really whiny to me. I thought i wouldn't like the main character because just the idea of dying of a broken heart made her seem really weak and desperate to give up.And if I don't like the main character I won't like the book. Granted I thought all of this BEFORE I read the book, but now that I have read it I have a different opinion of the book. So if any of you were like me and thought this book was whiny give it a shot, because trust me it’s so much more than just about a girl who died of a broken heart.
    Character wise the book was pretty good. I like how the characters all had secrets and "dark sides". The were real, or at least felt real to me. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was wrong about Brie being a weak person, although I will admit she did get annoying sometimes. I found that throughout the book Brie matured a lot. I loved watching her grow from a very spiteful girl, to a person who had learned to accept the cards she was dealt and made the most of it.
     I liked the plot for the most part. Part of the story line is moving through the phases of grief, and i felt that in some stages the plot lacked momentum. However, I have to say one of my favorite components of the book were all the plot twists. I have to say this book left me shocked during multiple occasions. I had several inklings as to what the plot twists were, but I still felt shocked. Which of course lead to the reason of why she died of a broken heart.Trust me there are cheesy moments in the book and plot, but it doesn't overwhelm the book and is done tastefully. Also i loved how the beginning of every chapter started with different song lyrics. 
     I think my favorite character by far in this book was Patrick. I loved his budding romance with Brie. It was just TOO CUTE!! I shipped them right from the start. I thought it was cute the way they acted around each other and the fact that Patrick was there for her almost the whole time. Throughout the novel we find out a lot about Patrick’s past and about his life. I thought that the way he died and why he died was extremely sad, and I couldn't help but want to give Patrick a hug after what he had been through.
     Overall the story line was good and the characters felt real, two components that are mandatory in making a good book. I loved the humor and the over all feel of the story. I definitely recommend this if you like romantic, cute reads, or just contemporary novels with some fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan