Slider

Book Review: Gates of Thread and Stone

26 April 2015

Release Date: August 5, 2014
Book:Gates of Thread and Stone
Author: Lori M. Lee
Number of Pages: 335
Series: Yes
The Basics:In the Labyrinth, we had a saying: keep silent, keep still, keep safe. In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret—she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her “brother” has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn’t know where her ability comes from—or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai’s only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper’s son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her. Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. She will leave the only home she’s ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power.

My Musings:

I hadn't read a good YA fantasy book in a while. I hadn't read a pure fantasy book in a really long time in general. When I got the chance to read this I really wanted to give it a shot. I first heard about this before it came out and I though it sounded interesting so I thought to myself, why not? To be brutally honest, I wasn't expecting much from the book. I thought it would get cheesy fast. I was pleasantly mistaken.

The first sentence of the book draws you in right away. From there on it slowly sinks teeth in you until you've pretty much fallen under it's spell. The writing style is pretty good. Ms. Lee has great descriptions and I loved being inside Kai's head. I was never bored with Kai, angry; maybe, frustrated;probably, rooting for; definitely. The author creates a coarse world, filled with danger and does it well.

OMG THIS PLOT. I could not put this book down. It's insane. There are so many twists and turns right up till the end. I love how action packed this was. This is the first book in a while that made me just fall in love with the story, the plot, the characters, I was enveloped by the horrible things they endured. The heartache forced upon them. I was filled by a need to find out what was going to happen next. Not all of it was twisty and turny. Some of it was just a lot. A lot to take in. I think the plot was really well developed and you'd be surprised at how much little details make a difference in this book. Not only by creating a full storyline, but by actually giving you hints and stuff for the ending. Like every little bit matters. I love that! It's never really slow, but it does pick up a lot towards the middle. Like if you thought the beginning was cray, just wait, this book is going to make you suffer. AND THEN THE ENDING! like what? how is that ending okay? I need to read the next book. I NEED to know how the heck things end up with Avan, Kai, Reev.

Character wise there was some development. Kai definitely grows up, hardens up. Avan stays consistently the same. He doesn't really change much throughout the story. He's a great character, don't get me wrong but the only real changes he goes through are his acceptance of his feelings for Kai, which is GREAT, and a plot twist which i'm not going to spoil here. Reev is a ghost, but a lovable one. He's a good guy it seems like. He cares about Kai. He loves her. They're each other's family and it's endearing seeing them together. It was a more plot driven novel but the character's, their storylines, the things they said, the things they did for themselves and others just makes you want to be friends with them, It was heartwarming to read about people who would be willing to lay down everything they have, lives included, for one another. Especially in a world so dark and cruel as the one they live in. I think it's great that their humanity is ultimately the best part of them.

Romance. Well let me say this it's obvious that Kai and Avan are completely and totally in love with one another. There are cute moments where you ship them with all your heat and soul. There is another guy who enters the picture. It's a cute romance they have, Avan and Kai. I think they're so good for each other. But they're also not the type to just admit they're feelings. Which seems to be the case in every book i've ever read. Anyways. It's cute, not the focal point, but yeah. I don't want to say too much and give away the ending, but I'll say one last thing. They show they're feelings not with words or sounds or syllables, but with actions, touches, and decisions.

Overall GREAT book. So amazing. I was hanging on every dreking word. lol you have to read this book.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan