Slider

Book Talk: The Miseducation of Cameron Post

10 June 2016

Book: The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Author: Emily M. Danforth
Series: No
Number of Pages: 470
Source: My amazing sister
The Basics:When Cameron Post’s parents die suddenly in a car crash, her shocking first thought is relief. Relief they’ll never know that, hours earlier, she had been kissing a girl.

But that relief doesn’t last, and Cam is soon forced to move in with her conservative aunt Ruth and her well-intentioned but hopelessly old-fashioned grandmother. She knows that from this point on, her life will forever be different. Survival in Miles City, Montana, means blending in and leaving well enough alone (as her grandmother might say), and Cam becomes an expert at both.

Then Coley Taylor moves to town. Beautiful, pickup-driving Coley is a perfect cowgirl with the perfect boyfriend to match. She and Cam forge an unexpected and intense friendship — one that seems to leave room for something more to emerge. But just as that starts to seem like a real possibility, ultrareligious Aunt Ruth takes drastic action to ‘fix’ her niece, bringing Cam face-to-face with the cost of denying her true self — even if she’s not exactly sure who that is.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a stunning and unforgettable literary debut about discovering who you are and finding the courage to live life according to your own rules.

My Musings:

The best part about reading are the characters and stories that stick with you, the ones you remember 10 years after you've read them, the ones you mention in random conversations. Not unlike a fond friend from high school that you mention everyone in a while because you loved them, because they were your person. Cameron is like that for me. I miss her. I miss her sarcasm, her doll house, her adventured with Jamie. I miss her.

The writing style is great; it never feels stuffy or awkward, it feels natural and real. Something that's been missing from a lot of books I've been reading lately. Danfroth creates really great character that are easy to fall in love with and relate to. The book is broken up into section one for every new part of her life. The book starts out when she is very young and we, as readers, watch her grow and mature, as she enters high school and eventually is sent of to a boarding school to "fix her". It was definitely was frustrating to see Cam go through all the homophobia and backlash to her sexuality. My heart went out to her and it was sad to see her go through that and be so helpless in those situations. I really hope that she is happy somewhere with a girl she loves.

For me, when I think of Cameron I think of two things:

  1. Dollhouse
  2. Movies
She is a much more complicated character than this but I loved her little quirks and hobbies and the way they were portrayed because it made her more of a person, a real person, somewhere in the middle of Montana, and that for me is one of the most beautiful parts of this book. The amount of detail in this book is impeccable and I loved that the author took her time to create a world and characters grounded in things everyone can relate to.Seeing her grow up made me more protective of her and even more involved in the story. Safe to say that characterization was on point.

The plot itself is just...it's great. I have laughed with Cameron, I have cried with Cameron. It has been a hard journey for her and I'm so glad that I read this book and went on this journey with her.

Overall this book was great. It's a book I really enjoyed but most importantly it's a story that I'll keep with me. It's beautiful and heartbreaking, its frustrating and satisfying. It's a book I think everyone should read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan